Sufferers of trichotillomania have to suffer challenges every day. Because trichotillomania is the mental health condition which can result in an extreme hair loss.
It’s an irresistible urge to pull out hair from the hair-bearing areas, it can make a person believe that he/she is going mad.
But it’s not necessary that a person who has hair pulling disorder will only pull hair from these regions. He may pull out hair from anywhere on the body.
Hair pulling disorder can affect all including men, women, and children. Trichotillomania is affecting women more frequently as compared to men.
A victim of hair pulling disorder also has to suffer the lack of self- esteem and confidence due to the bald patches and hair thinning.
Symptoms of Trichotillomania or Hair Pulling Disorder:
If you have a doubt on you that yes…!!! You are also a sufferer of trichotillomania or your child is, but you aren’t sure about it. Then here are the symptoms of hair pulling disorder:
- A strong sense of pressure before pulling out your hair or when trying to rebel against the urge of pulling your hair.
- A sensation of relief, pleasure, and gratification after acting on the instinct of pulling your hair.
- Bald spots are present at your hair-bearing areas, especially on your scalp.
- Other linked activities are:
- Examining your hair root
- Twisting your hair
- Pulling your hair in between your teeth
- Eating your hair, which is called trichophagia.
If you are among the sufferers of trichotillomania then here are 04 constructive ways by which you will be able to defeat your hair pulling disorder:
Four Constructive Ways to Help Defeat Trichotillomania:
- Keep Triggers Out of Sight
- Keep Your Hands Covered
- Busy Your Hands
- Set Goals and Reward Yourself
1. Keep Triggers Out of Sight:
When you have an irresistible urge to pull out your hair from your hair-bearing areas like scalp, eyebrows or eyelashes. Then it’s beneficial if you put the tweezers away from you by doing so, your temptation to tweeze your hair will be less as compared to usual.
2. Keep Your Hands Covered:
It’s easy to pull out your hair in cold season as compared to hot weather. So try to cover your hands by wearing gloves or you can get a professional manicure, which you don’t want to mess up from scratching at your scalp.
3. Busy your Hands:
Most victims of hair pulling disorder try to keep their hands occupied so that you will have less urge to scratch your head or to pull out hair.
You also try to busy your hands either in stress relieving stimulation toys like stress balls or playing with the fidget toys. These toys also attract most of your attention so that you don’t concentrate just on the scratching or pulling your hair.
4. Set Goals and Reward Yourself:
If you are successful in not pulling or scratching your scalp even for one day. Then make it a habit and set goals so that you try to fulfill your own made goals.
If you succeeded in fulfilling your goals then reward yourself. This will encourage you and will motivate you from not pulling your hair and your trichotillomania will be controlled soon.
You might be thinking that can a hair transplant procedure can treat your bald patches which are caused by the hair pulling disorder or not.
So following are the conditions which will tell you that whether you are eligible to get a hair transplant surgery to cure your hair loss due to trichotillomania or not.
Candidacy to get a Hair Transplant to Treat Trichotillomania/ Hair Pulling Disorder:
- It’s compulsory that you have overcome the urge of pulling out your hair and has not pulled your hair for at least 1 year.
- You shouldn’t be experiencing any skin issue like irritating, burning, aching or itching on your scalp.
- The area of your hair loss has not enlarged over a 1-2 year period.
- You should be medically stable, healthy not have any chronic medical condition.
- It’s also important that you have a good donor hair supply, and you should be over 18 years of age.
Acknowledge your Health Condition:
If you have acknowledged your hair pulling disorder and you aren’t a right candidate to opt for a hair transplant procedure to cure your hair loss, which is caused by your trichotillomania. Then don’t waste another second in self-diagnosis or considering the hair loss treatments including pharmaceuticals, hair regrowth items and so on.
Meet the Therapist at the Hair Transplant Clinic:
Rather, organize a meeting with the therapist at the hair transplant clinic. The trichologist will check your eyelashes, eyebrows and your scalp.
Afterwards, the trichologist will tell you the severity of the trichotillomania and the condition of your hair.
And in the end, the trichologist may prescribe you to get an appropriate treatment or to get a ACell therapy in Riyadh from the hair transplant center.